One Mile at a Time

Sunday, January 4, 2009

On Friday, like I mentioned, I decided to try some running just to switch things up. I generally have always been terrible at running - it makes my heart rate go up really fast, and it gives my stomach cramps, and no matter how much people said I would get used to it if i just did it enough, it didn't happen. I have done the treadmill for like an hour before, but that was like walk 1 minute, run 1 minute - the furthest I had actually consistently run without stopping was like 1/4 mile. So on Friday, I did "run" a mile - but it was a walk/run situation, so I only really ran 1/2 mile, and not all at once either.




Anyways, so I went to the gym yesterday and decided that perhaps the walk/run thing just wasn't helping me at all, and I needed to just go for it. I got on the treadmill, set it at 5 mph, and then, somehow, I just ran a mile. I have no idea how I did it, b/c I have tried this many times before and never gotten even to a 1/2 mile. But somehow it just happened, and I was very proud of myself - no stopping, no walking - I am going to try to see if I can keep increasing this :) I think the whole walk/run thing actually makes it harder for me personally, because once I slow down, it's so hard to get going again.

0 comments: