Food Planning Philosophy

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I am always impressed with people who can plan out specifically what they will eat for each meal, but I just never know what days I'll have time to make dinner, or eat a more elaborate breakfast, etc. so instead I try to get enough supplies to have some easy meal options and some more complicated recipes, etc. for when I want to cook. Here's an example for what I have this week:

Breakfast:

- As far as the simplest, quickest option, I get Nature Valley Trail Mix bars.
- Another pretty simple option is 100 calorie whole grain english muffins and light veggie cream cheese. I also ordered some Bagel Thins from Lender's for Andrew, they are a lot less calories than regular bagels.
- For when I want to make something, I got ingredients to make breakfast wraps of egg, light American cheese and fake bacon in a tortilla (Hungry Girl's breakfast burrito recipe); and also ingredients to make HG's cinnamon vanilla french toast.

Lunch:

- I decided this week to try ordering Weight Watchers' fresh meals instead of frozen, so even when I have to eat something on the go, these should be healthier with less salt, preservatives, etc. than frozen meals.
- I got ingredients to make sandwiches to bring to work - either a healthy egg salad (no mayo, light bread, etc.), HG's BLT recipe, or HG's caprese sandwich recipe.
- I also bought some Dole salad mixes - love those!

Dinner:
- Kashi frozen pizzas - probably one of the healthiest frozen pizza options out there, but still delicious - love them!
- Ingredients to make HG's 7-layer burrito blitz (recipe is on this blog) - so yummy!
- Ingredients to make HG's Mexi-tatos (recipe on the blog as well)
- Whole weat pasta and tomato basil sauce or pesto sauce

Snacks:
And of course, I got a variety of little 100 calorie or less options for snacks - Light n' Fit vanilla yogurt, apples, string cheese, some 100 calorie packs of veggie chips, etc.

Thank goodness for Peapod, I never have time to go to the store!

0 comments: